Photo by the incredible Michele Celentano.
Meet Jenn Schaeffer…
Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by! So, obviously, you know I am a photographer…that’s why you’re here! I wanted to share a few fun things so you can get to know a bit about my non-photography side…
- In addition to being a photographer, my main job is as a nurse practitioner (NP). I trained at the University of Pennsylvania & have been an NP for 16+ years. I have worked in the ER, physical rehab/orthopedics and, for the last 7+ years, I have been conducting home-based assessments for patients who are 65+ or on disability. As an NP I am able to make a big difference in many people’s lives. My goal as your photographer is to do the same thing for you – to have your session be more than just me taking your picture. I want you to walk away from your session with a newfound sense of self, feeling confident & secure in the incredible person you are.
- Music is a part of my soul. In 5th grade, I started playing the clarinet & played all through high school & college. I changed to a double major in undergrad adding music to my psychology major & I am forever grateful that I did. My undergrad college, Moravian College, is well known for it’s strong music program. I trained with a fantastic voice teacher & to this day continue to sing. I am in my 8th season as a 2nd Soprano in the The Phoenix Symphony Chorus, one of the most tremendous choruses in which I have had the honor to sing.
- I am a wife. Neither my husband nor I had ever been married before which is pretty rare considering we didn’t meet until we were both well into (or past!) our 30’s. We got married in 2016 & thanks to the sweet Heidi Lea have some incredible photos to cherish forever. Kurt brings out the best in me & accepts all the not-so-best parts too.
- I am a fur Mama. I didn’t grow up with any animals so when the time was right, I decided to adopt a kitten from a shelter near where I lived in Pennsylvania. My sweet Smokey Cat was with me for 14 years; he was a great cat & endured many moves with me (see next bullet point). I adopted Bella in 2012 when she was 5 years old. That sweet girl has come a long way from her super anxious, timid self. She is still one quirky dog, though but that is what makes her so special.
- I grew up in rural Pennsylvania in an area where they still mine Anthracite coal (for those of you familiar with NE PA: Schuylkill County is my home county) From undergrad college until 2014, I moved 16 times & lived in 5 different states other than Pennsylvania. I have been in Phoenix, Arizona since 2010 & there are not any planned moves in my near future (THANK GOODNESS!)
**This photo of me & my Daddy is one of my all time favorites!!
A few little quirky things about me:
- I am a complete sap. I am a sensitive soul & wear my heart on my sleeve. I get all teary-eyed with many of my patients as they tell their stories, when I see a beautiful sunset (which is OFTEN here in Phoenix!) or during a photo session as someone begins to open up, relax & discover their powerful, confident beautiful self.
- I am a hugger…big time. I have a very small area of personal space most days. Don’t worry though…I know most people aren’t like that so just tell me if you prefer to not get any (or too many) Jenn hugs!!
- I laugh really loud. We’re talking full on people turning around to look at you with a side eye kind of loud. My Mom laughed really loud too…I like to think my loud, heartfelt laugh is one little way I can have her memory live on through me =)
Another photo by the incredible Michele Celentano.
There you have it: a few non-photography things about me to help you get to know me better. Feel free to follow along on my Instagram to keep up with more of my behind the scenes as well as some recent sessions. See you at your next photo session with me!
Life is short. Capture the moments. Hold on to these images for life.
Portrait Photographer, Nurse Practitioner, Musician, Sentimental Soul